CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A south Charlotte apartment fire damaged nine units leaving 30 people homeless Thursday night.

Firefighters were called to the Sharon West Apartments on Sharon Road West at about 8 p.m. Firefighters said no one was injured, but nine apartments were damaged after a fire in a storage unit spread to the apartment building.

The Red Cross said 24 adults and six children were displaced. Nine total families had to be relocated. Six of those families were moved to undamaged apartment units, but three were relocated by the Red Cross.

The fire was a big scare for those that had to rush to get out of their homes.

I looked out my window and I see my mom telling me, 'Look over here, there is a fire!' said Oscar Acevedo, who was in the shower when the fire started. When I looked out, there was smoke coming over the apartments. So I changed really quickly, and I started running and there was this big fire.

Because of the high temperatures Thursday night, the Charlotte Fire Department rotated the 60 firefighters that responded to prevent any overheating.

Fire investigators will take a close look at that storage shed to figure out exactly how the fire started.

Read or Share this story: