KINGS MOUNTAIN, N.C. -- Several children were taken to the hospital Monday after ingesting bleach at a daycare.

Kings Mountain Police responded to Bolin's Daycare Center in the 900 block of Ramseur Street on Monday.

Co-owner, Jeff Bolin tells NBC Charlotte they had made a mistake, and it was an unfortunate accident.

We apologize for all the commotion. We are highly upset by ourselves, knowing that things happened and it happened to us, he said.

Police say the investigation revealed a water pitcher with a small amount of bleach had been used for cleaning, and was mistakenly placed into the fridge and served to the children.

Bolin says the pitcher was left on the counter Friday.

Monday morning, his wife put the pitcher in the refrigerator to chill what she thought was a pitcher of water.

There was no smell, nobody smelled any Clorox. We just didn't know. We all sanitize stuff, and it was left in a place that looked like it was fresh water, he said.

He says approximately a dozen students were taken to area hospitals as a precaution.

Police said none of the children had serious complications from ingesting the bleach.

Bolin says about an ounce of bleach was mixed in with a gallon of water.

The staff poured the solution from the pitcher during afternoon snack time.

He says two children said the water tasted funny, and soon several kids began vomiting.

We would never do anything to hurt children, he said. It s the first time we ever had anything like this happen in 41 years, he said.

Bolin and his wife took over the daycare, started by his mother in 2003.
They serve approximately 60 full-time students, and more attend after-school.

We had a lot of feedback from parents coming back saying that they still supported us and were fine. They will be back tomorrow. They understood they (the children) needed to go to the hospital to get checked, he said.

There was a big crew here, because there were kids involved, and they just wanted to get them checked out. We were calling everybody as fast as we could, but a couple of parents didn't get contacted, he said.

Bolin says a few parents that could not be reached, were upset.

I understand some parents would be upset, we may lose some people, but we have a good reputation in the area, that is what we are here for, he said.

Hopefully all the parents and the community will understand.

Read or Share this story: