KANNAPOLIS, N.C. Firefighters in Kannapolis doused the flames of a house fire early Sunday morning saying a faulty chimney was to blame.
The incident happened around 7:10 a.m. on Athens Street. Officials said when crews arrived smoke was billowing from the home and fire was ripping through an exterior wall.
Investigators determined the fire had escaped through the cracks of the chimney and extended out into the walls of the home including the family s attic. In a press release sent to media outlets about the fire, crews said thankfully the family had a working smoking alarm which alerted them to the fire.
Officials said the fire is still under investigation but it appears a faulty chimney is to blame. The American Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary housing.
No injuries were reported.