LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Police across North Carolina have launched another holiday weekend crackdown on speeders, saying the No Need 2 Speed campaign is aimed at slowing drivers on a week when many people will be hitting the road for Easter-related trips.

The campaign began Monday, when state and local officials gathered at the Rockingham Speedway in Richmond County for a news conference.

Becky Wallace, director of the Governor s Highway Safety Program, said the campaign will continue through Easter Sunday. She said there will be stepped-up patrols by the N.C. Highway Patrol and by sheriff s offices and local police departments.

In North Carolina last year, there were 428 speed-related fatalities, and 412 of those fatalities were unbelted, Wallace said. Our partnerships with law enforcement to strictly enforce North Carolina speed limits are crucial to keeping our highways safe.

Wallace s mention of the number of unbelted deaths hints that police also might be looking for motorists who drive without wearing seat belts.

Highway Patrol Lt. Col. Wellington Scott said troopers will not just focus their efforts on interstate and federal highways. He said there also will be increased patrols on state highways, city streets and rural two-lane roads.

A similar effort last spring resulted in nearly 12,500 speeding citations being issued in North Carolina.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/06/30/10841314/