HICKORY, N.C. -- A plastic bottle filled with a chemical substance exploded in a dorm bathroom Tuesday night at Lenoir-Rhyne University, according Hickory police.

Hickory police and firefighters responded to Morgan Dorm around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night after a reported explosion in one of the dorm's bathrooms, according to a press release.

Firefighters said they found a device made from a plastic drink bottle that had exploded due to a chemical reaction from the contents inside.

No injuries or damages were reported.

Police said they have identified a suspect and charges will be filed.

This incident had nothing to do with Wednesday's threat at Catawba Valley Community College, according to Hickory authorities.

Read or Share this story: