1. Around 1pm, Independence Blvd. outbound started to back up. Here's a time lapse showing 5 minutes in 5 seconds:
2. An hour later, traffic was at a standstill, and people started getting out of their cars. This time lapse shows 2.5 minutes in 2.5 seconds:
3. People couldn't get traction:
4. And pushing didn't help:
5. Some people just said whatever, I'm outta here:
6. For a long time, traffic was at a crawl, and DOT plows couldn't clear the road.
7. But by 4 p.m., the road was clear and the ramps had shut down:
8. The ramps were ordered shut down until the road started to look better than this: