LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Despite the chaos that broke out after Speed Street in uptown Saturday night that left one man dead, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say they were prepared.

Chief Rodney Monroe says the city was prepared for the crowds of Speed Street.

At no time did we feel that anything was out of control or that we were not handling the situation, Monroe said.

By 7:30 p.m. Saturday, the crowd swelled to more than 75,000. Despite the 100 additional officers patrolling the area around N. College and N. McDowell streets and 6th Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard, the chaos was undeniable.

You just had kids out there running amuck, Monroe said. They were yelling the word gun , and all of a sudden, 25 of them star taking off running. You know, that caused some panic among people.

Amidst that panic were gang members who had been at odds for the weeks leading up to Speed Street.

They're not to the level that you see in a lot of other cities, Monroe said. I mean you could have somebody from the Crips and somebody from the Bloods living in the same house here in Charlotte,

And by the early hours of Sunday morning, hours after Speed Street had shut down for the night, Durante James, 21, was shot in the leg. He was treated and released from the hospital.
Antwan Smith, 22, was shot and killed.

Police made more than 70 arrests, mostly for disorderly conduct.

Monroe says a suspect has been identified in the shootings. They hope to have their suspect in custody within the next 24-48 hours.

The chief also said the department is already planning for July 4th.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/06/26/10483622/