Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

GASTONIA, N.C. -- Firefighters in Gastonia battled a blaze Saturday evening that started in the kitchen.

When fire crews arrived on the scene around 6:15, a mobile home in the 300 block of Hollifield Drive, smoke billowed from the structure.

The Gastonia Fire Department says the fire began on the stove in the kitchen and quickly spread to the walls and ceiling. The fire was brought under control in about 10 minutes.

An estimated $40,000 in damage was done, officials say.

The Red Cross is assisting the displaced occupants.

No injuries were reported.

The fire department says the home did not have a working smoke detector.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/features/2014/07/21/11799754/