CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- There were some frantic moments Sunday afternoon when two CMPD officers found themselves on the business end of a shotgun.

"Lucky day that no one is dead or seriously injured," said Chief Rodney Monroe.

The incident occurred in the 400 block of Kingsville Drive in the North Tryon Division and began when officers went to answer a domestic violence call for service around 3:34 in the afternoon.

Police say that 27-year-old Brandon Brewer fired his shotgun at anyone who got in the way; Marguerite Jackson is one of the people who could have gotten hurt.

MORE: 2 officers, 10-year-old girl shot; suspect in custody

She says she was approached by a woman who asked to use her phone because a man threatened to kill her, that man then talked to her.

"A gentleman came out and said I need to mind my business," she said.

To emphasize the point he allegedly came out again.

"Took a step back out of the house with a shotgun and just fired it towards our direction, it was me, my two kids, her and a baby that was standing there."

Jackson says she got in her car and drove off and then returned when the police arrived, she saw the officers come under fire.

"Police got out of the car, was walking and he opened up the door and started shooting," she said.

Chief Monroe says he's thankful that Brewer didn't seriously hurt anyone.

"He was very close and I think we're also fortunate were dealing with buckshot that's going to disperse very quickly," he said.

Officers Kevin Stafford and Eric Bojaj suffered only superficial wounds, along with a 10-year-old girl who bravely shut the door in the suspect's face when he tried to get into her home.

"I'm just glad nobody lost their lives; I'm glad the officers were able to go home to their families. I'm glad me and my children, we're okay," said Jackson.

Brewer is charged with three counts of attempted murder, three counts of assault with a firearm on a law enforcement officer, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, six counts of discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling, two counts of damage to property, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, assault by pointing a gun and discharging a firearm within city limits.

Police say additional charges are pending.

Both officers have been released from the hospital.

Read or Share this story: