CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Firemen carried two house cats from a burning home in east Charlotte on Wednesday.

Fire crews were dispatched to the single-story house fire Wednesday morning around 10:45. after neighbors called to report smoke pouring from the structure.

When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke and flames billowed from the home.

During a search of the structure, two cats were found and rescued. The firemen used "pet rescue masks" to deliver oxygen to the cats who suffered from smoke inhalation.

Show Thumbnails
Show Captions

Both cats are now in the care of CMPD's Animal Care and Control for monitoring and safe shelter, while the family is receiving assistance from the Red Cross.

The family of four was not home at the time of the blaze.

The Charlotte Fire Department has determined the accidental fire was electrical in nature, and was sparked somewhere on the rear of the home.

The fire did about $50,000 in damage.

No injuries were reported.

SEE ALSO: Reports of smoke brings CFD to animal shelter

Read or Share this story: