A Great Dane in Portland, Oregon had 43.5 socks removed from its stomach. The X-ray was so impressive that it took second place in Veterinary Practice News' annual They ate WHAT? contest. VPC
Chomping down on 43 1/2 socks was enough to make one 3-year-old Great Dane pretty sick.
After vomiting and retching during the day, abdominal radiographs revealed "a severely distended stomach and a large quality of foreign material," according to Veterinary Practice News.
During surgery performed by a DoveLewis veterinarian in Portland, Ore., the socks were removed. The dog was sent home one day after surgery.
When Dr. Ashley Magee at DoveLewis Animal Hospital opened the dogs stomach, she told KGW-TV, they "kept removing sock after sock of all different shapes and sizes."
The animal hospital submitted the example to the annual "They Ate WHAT?" contest at Veterinary Practice News, which was published online on August 27.
DoveLewis won the $500 third prize. Not bad.
They put their winnings into the Velvet Assistance Fund, which aids qualifying low-income families facing veterinary emergencies.
Magee said the dog had been in for check-ups since surgery, and was doing fine. She hoped the dog had changed its ways.
"He did have a history of preference for socks," she told KGW-TV.
Follow @JessicaDurando on Twitter