6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Israeli and Palestinian factions accepted an Egyptian proposal Sunday for a new 72-hour cease-fire to resume negotiations on a longer-term truce.

The announcement comes after hours of talks with Palestinian factions in Cairo in which they accepted the proposal. The truce was set to begin at midnight Cairo time.

Israeli negotiators — who left Cairo on Friday — would return to Egypt on Monday if the new truce holds, Reuters reported. Palestinian negotiators had threatened to leave the negotiations if Israel refused to return. The two sides accepted a similar three-day truce last week, but fighting resumed shortly after it ended Friday.

Earlier Sunday, Israel said it would not return to the negotiation table while rocket fire from Gaza continued. "Israel will not negotiate under fire," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said.

The Egyptian-brokered talks have aimed to jump start a long-term truce between Israel and Hamas militants in a month-long conflict that has left more than 1,900 Palestinians dead and nearly 10,000 wounded, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. In Israel, 67 people have been killed including three civilians, according to the Israeli military.

Hamas demands that Israel and Egypt lift their border blockades, while Israel says the militant group must disarm for any long-lasting agreement to take place.

As the two sides continued to trade fire on Sunday, a 14-year-old boy and two other Palestinians were killed, Gaza officials said. Israel responded to rocket fire from Gaza, hitting at least 20 targets, the Israeli military said.

Contributing: The Associated Press

Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/politics/2014/08/10/israel-palestinians-accept-72-hour-cease-fire-in-gaza/13864771/