Tony Stewart will not race this weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway, Stewart-Haas Racing announced Wednesday.
Stewart will sit out his third consecutive NASCAR Sprint Cup race following the death of Kevin Ward Jr., who was killed Aug. 9 when a sprint car driven by Stewart hit him during a dirt race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in upstate New York.
Ward had exited his car and walked down onto the racing surface under a caution period.
Jeff Burton will drive the No. 14 Chevrolet in Stewart's place, as he did last week at Michigan International Speedway. The team said Stewart's plans for the rest of the season have not yet been determined.
Nationwide Series regular Regan Smith drove for him at Watkins Glen International; Burton then filled in at Michigan. Burton has made 40 Sprint Cup starts at Bristol, winning the 2008 Food City 500.
The three-time Cup champion has been in seclusion since the incident and last week executive vice president of Stewart Haas-Racing Brett Frood said the driver was "grieving. ... It will be up to Tony when he's ready to get back in the car."
The investigation into Ward's death is expected to continue at least through the beginning of next week, according to Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero.
Also last week, NASCAR implemented a new rule formalizing procedure for drivers who are involved in accidents or who are unable to make forward progress in their cars. Drivers now are required to remain strapped in their cars -- unless they are in immediate danger from fire or another hazard -- until safety crews arrive and can escort them from the scene. No driver is allowed to walk onto the racing surface.
Some smaller venues also have changed rules to help keep drivers safe.
Stewart's passion is the grassroots racing at small tracks around the nation. He has long been a supporter of racing at this level — often moonlighting as his schedule allows. He also owns Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio, site the past two seasons of a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series race.