Teen suspect released to mom in B&E case

Teen suspect released to mom in B&E case

Print
Email
|

by RAD BERKY / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @RadBerkywcnc

WCNC.com

Posted on September 27, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Updated Saturday, Sep 28 at 2:07 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- An 18-year-old Charlotte man says he was wrongfully arrested this week by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police because of a misidentification.

“This is not me. This jumpsuit, all this is not me,” said Milton Dunlap as he walked out of the Mecklenburg County jail with his family Friday afternoon.

Dunlap was released into the custody of his mother, pending trial, after being in jail since his arrest on Tuesday.

Dunlap was one of five men arrested after highway patrol troopers and CMPD officers chased an SUV that was suspected of having been used in a number of home break-ins Tuesday afternoon.

The SUV was finally stopped in the Colony Acres development in south Charlotte off of Nations Ford Road. The five were arrested as they jumped from the vehicle and started running.

Dunlap and his family said he was home at the time playing video games and posting pictures on the internet and was not involved with the men in the SUV.

Dunlap said he was profiled by police.

“I want an apology from every single one. Every single one from the person who put me on the ground, to the one who had the dog in their hand, to the one who pointed me out,” Dunlap said.

Police said they stand by their original statement that Dunlap had been first identified by a trooper who had been part of the chase.

In a statement the department said, “The trooper observed Dunlap jump from the vehicle and run into a nearby home. A CMPD officer also observed Milton Dunlap run into the home. Dunlap was arrested a short time later.”

Community activist John Barnett organized a letter-writing campaign by people who know Dunlap, urging that he be released to his family until his trial.

“We’re very happy that the due process has taken place,” said Barnett shortly after Dunlap was released Friday.

He must remain at home and wear an ankle monitor until his next appearance in court. He faces several charges including assault on a government official and felony breaking and entering.

Print
Email
|