CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A Boone hotel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning is back open. On the same day, local firefighters went door to door making sure families are protected from carbon monoxide in their own homes.
The screeching sound of an alarm could save your life, which is why Charlotte Fire Department is going door to door to in the Rockwell Park neighborhood.
"Every dwelling, apartment, single family home, condo, townhome is required to have a carbon monoxide detector," said Captain Ron Kinniburgh with the Charlotte Fire Department.
In partnership with Lowe's and First Alert, the fire department received 100 donated carbon monoxide detectors to put in homes of need, like Thereasea Elders who worked to get the fire department in her neighborhood.
"It's very important because it's so educational and it's so helpful," said Elders.
Fire officials say since the tragic deaths of three people in a Boone hotel, they're hoping people are more aware of the danger.
"Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that is a by-product of burning fossil fuels, wood, coal, oil, natural gas propane, anything other than electricity," said Capt. Kinniburgh.
And they’re warning people of what not to do.
"You should never bring an outdoor appliance indoors like charcoal grills, hibachi grills, generators," said Kinniburgh.
Fire officials say a new bill in North Carolina legislation will extend the law to hotels and motels but they want it to stretch even further.
"To all places where people sleep, rent by the week, extended stay, institutions, daycares," said Kinniburgh.
For now, they're hoping to get the word out one neighbor at a time.
"We talk to our people, even those who have total electric and we tell them, ‘it is the law, obey the law,’" said Elders.
The alarms that aren't given out in the neighborhood will go back to the Charlotte Fire Department, and they will give them out per city and county referrals.