CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Friends and family members of a man charged in an accident that killed a woman and a 3-year-old marched around the Mecklenburg County Jail Wednesday night, calling for him to be released on bond because they say he is innocent.
Adilene Flores, the sister of Uriel Flores said, “He is innocent. He is an 18-year-old kid who is innocent and was not involved in the accident.”
Uriel is charged with manslaughter and felony hit and run in connection with an accident that resulted in two deaths last month at the intersection of Sharon Road West and Park Road.
Shaquise Sharvelle Bush, 19, was killed along with a 3-year-old boy. A traffic camera showed Flores driving a Silverado next to a Mercury driven by Bush.
Investigators said they have witnesses who saw Flores and Bush both driving fast just before Flores crossed into the lane where Bush was, resulting in the crash.
Flores’s sister said that is not what happened.
“Uriel was ahead of the car. Uriel never made contact with the car,” she said.
Police investigators said it was the manner that Flores was driving that caused the crash and they said he then left the scene.
CMPD spokesperson Rob Tufano, in a previous statement, said, “Mr. Flores called 911 to report the crash but did not stop and remain to state his involvement.”
Flores is behind bars on a hold requested by the Department of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. His family and friends said he is in the country legally and should be allowed to post bond pending his trial.