CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Paramedics evaluated nearly 40 people following a hazmat situation at a Charlotte business building Friday night.
Crews were first called to the 8300 block of Forest Point Boulevard in reference to fumes in the building.
Emergency crews evacuated 200 people. Two of the patients passed out, while others were vomiting and complained of headaches.
Five people were taken to area hospitals and all of the injuries have been described as non-life threatening.
Firefighters have attributed the problem to exhaust fumes from a faulty HVAC motor.
According to an employee, the building is a call center for Blue Cross and Blue Shield.