Dry weekend in store for the Charlotte region

Dry weekend in store for the Charlotte region

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com Staff

WCNC.com

Posted on February 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Updated Friday, Feb 8 at 6:54 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A nice weekend in the Queen City is in store for the area, according to the First Warn Storm Team, but things could change starting Sunday.

Highs will reach about 57 degrees on Friday afternoon as Thursday night’s wet system has moved out of the area and is headed to the northeast, where blizzard conditions have already begun to hit several major cities.

(Watch today's full forecast)

“Locally things are OK here.  It’s great to be in the Carolinas,” said forecaster Larry Sprinkle.

The Piedmont region likely won’t see any more precipitation on Friday, Sprinkle added.  In the mountains, though, things are a bit different.  A High Wind Warning is in effect from 4 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday.

“There’s only a slight chance of an isolated shower or two for Friday,” said Sprinkle.

(Download the Charlotte Weather App)

On Saturday, clouds will clear out, and Charlotte will reach the mid-50s with plenty of sunshine.

But a new system comes in at the tail end of the weekend.  The First Warn Storm team calls for a 50 percent chance of rain on the latter half of the day Sunday.

“Sunday for the most part should be OK,” noted Sprinkle.  “Sunday night into Monday we could see that rain chance increase.”

The rain could stick around most of next week, with a 60 percent chance of rain Monday, 40 percent on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Temperatures will remain consistent this weekend and on into next week.

Print
Email
|