Arrest made in South End diner shooting

Arrest made in South End diner shooting

Print
Email
|

by WCNC.com Staff

WCNC.com

Posted on December 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Updated Monday, Nov 4 at 2:04 AM

One shot near uptown diner

View larger map

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- One man is behind bars after a shooting near a popular South End diner early Thursday morning.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said one person was shot off of Morehead Square Drive near the Midnight Diner in the South End around 3 a.m.

(Click here to see images from the scene)

The shooting took place in the parking lot between the diner and the nearby Uptown Cabaret strip club.

Police had been called a short time earlier to deal with a problem at the Uptown Cabaret, according to NBC Charlotte news partner The Charlotte Observer.

The victim, 23-year-old Langston Giles, was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. Police briefly closed part of Carson Boulevard while they conducted an investigation.

Bryan Stephen Thomas, 30, was arrested late Thursday afternoon and charged with attempted armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

"Upon officers’ arrival they observed a suspicious male standing up from behind a vehicle and walk towards the diner," CMPD said in a statement. "The male matched a suspect description that officers were given as they arrived on scene."

Police say Thomas approached Giles and a second victim and tried to rob them, firing a pair of gunshots during the altercation.  Officers said they recovered the gun used during the crime.

The diner was also closed for a couple of hours during the investigation, but it reopened shortly before 8 a.m.

Print
Email
|