3-year-old boy dies after being shot in Charlotte

3-year-old boy dies after being shot in Charlotte

Print
Email
|

by DIANA RUGG / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @DianaRuggwcnc

WCNC.com

Posted on April 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Updated Monday, Apr 14 at 6:19 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A 3-year-old is dead after an accidental shooting inside his home on Glasgow Road Sunday afternoon.

“I came out and a little girl was just screaming, she was screaming,” said Amanda Howell, who lives across the street from the boy’s family, and next door to some of the boy’s close relatives.  “She went to her family's house next door and says, ‘Anthony's been shot.’”

3 y/o shot is now confirmed fatality, likely accidental, no foul play suspected. So sad. #cltnews pic.twitter.com/MFF8ZZ0XVz

Howell said the boy’s father tried to rush him to the hospital, but an ambulance reached them before they got too far.

“They stopped him at the top of the street and put the little boy in the car, and they left,” said Howell. 

Neighbors said the boy and found a gun and shot himself.  He was pronounced dead at Carolinas Medical Center.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said the shooting was an accident, and no foul play is suspected.

Family members, who call the toddler “A.J.,” were heartbroken.

“He was a happy kid -- he loved to play, he loved to laugh,” said Troy Archie, a cousin.  “It hurt me to my heart that this happened.”

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police detectives remained inside the home for more than six hours before they were seen carrying evidence to their van.

No charges had been filed as of Sunday night.

Howell said it’s a reminder that accidents can happen in the blink of an eye.

“If you have a weapon like that around you should have that up, and not in any child's reach,” she said, “because that's sad.”


Print
Email
|