Marines respond to sex assault allegations against local recruiter

Credit: Source: Via Facebook

Marines respond to sex assault allegations against local recruiter

Print
Email
|

by BORA KIM / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @BoraKimWCNC

WCNC.com

Posted on January 28, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Updated Monday, Nov 4 at 12:43 AM

SALISBURY, N.C. -- According to the US Marines Recruiting Office out of Raleigh, Marine Sgt. Derek K. Percival enlisted in 2008, serving primarily as a bulk field specialist, a support position before becoming a recruiter in the Salisbury office April of last year.

Up until his arrest, he had no criminal record and has never faced any disciplinary action by the military.

The Marine Recruiting Public Affairs Spokesperson Sgt. Dwight Henderson tells NBC Charlotte the office is cooperating with local investigators and taking this investigation very seriously.

"This goes against all of our core values, honor, courage and commitment. It goes against the high standards we set for ourselves as Marines,” says Henderson.

He goes on to say, if the accused is found guilty, it will be handled appropriately, first by the police and then through the military court.

The Military has issued a Protective Order against Percival. He is now barred from having any contact with applicants, potential recruits and high school students and staff. 

Marines are trained on how to handle such situations and on how to quickly identify the chain of command when reporting these incidents.

The Marine Permanent Contact station in Salisbury is temporarily closed.  Recruitment will continue from the Kannapolis office.

“The interaction between our Marines and our applicants will stay the same, but these Marines will discuss with the applicants and make them aware that this kind of behavior is not okay and if they witness or involved in that  kind of behavior it will be reported as soon as possible," says Henderson.

Percival is expected back in court 9 a.m. Tuesday.
 

Print
Email
|