'He was bad for her from the start'

Credit: (L) Lancaster County Sheriff's Office; (R) Facebook

(L) Suspect Tanner Crolley; (R) Victim Sierra Landry


by WCNC.com Staff


Posted on December 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Updated Tuesday, Dec 31 at 6:40 PM

LANCASTER, S.C. -- Authorities in Lancaster County are investigating a homicide in which they believe the 18-year-old suspect and the victim were involved in a relationship.

The body of 18-year-old Sierra Landry was found in the front yard of a home in the 1400 block of John Everall Road around 10:10 Monday night. Authorities say Landry suffered from fatal gunshot wounds.

Investigators quickly developed 18-year-old Tanner Crolley as the suspect in the case. Officials say Crolley fled the scene on foot.

About three hours later, Crolley was spotted at the intersection of John Everall Road and Highway 200 and was taken into custody without incident.

(Click here for photos of the victim, suspect)

Investigators say they believe Crolley and Landry were in a relationship and an argument outside the residence escalated to shots being fired.

Landry's grandmother, Cindy Stogner, said, "I think together they were a recipe for disaster. And I think she finally realized that. It was time to make a  change in her life."

Crolley was booked in to the Lancaster County Detention Center, where he remains; a magistrate denied bond on the murder charge. Meanwhile, bonds total $26,000 on the charges of damaging property and possession of a weapon.

According to the Lancaster Magistrate’s Office, Crolley was charged with criminal domestic violence against Landry in June of this year. The judge automatically issued a restraining order against the suspect.

"He was bad for her from the start," said Sierra's stepmother, Jessica Landry.

Crolley also has a previous burglary charge on his record; Landry's family tells NBC Charlotte it was their home that was burglarized. Officials have not confirmed that information.

"We are relying on God to get us though this," Stogner expressed.

The Lancaster County Sheriff's Office refused to comment when NBC Charlotte inquired on the case, saying the investigation is on-going.