Street car project loses out on federal money

Street car project loses out on federal money

Print
Email
|

by DIANNE GALLAGHER / NBC Charlotte

Bio | Email | Follow: @DianneG

WCNC.com

Posted on September 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Updated Wednesday, Sep 4 at 12:00 AM

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NBC Charlotte began digging for answers about the future of the street car project's federal funding Tuesday, after a handful of city governments announced they received Department of Transportation "TIGER" grants.

NBC Charlotte found that the Queen City would not be on the list of projects approved for TIGER grants, but the official USDOT announcement is not due until later this week.

We took our findings to Congressman Robert Pittenger's office.

Pittenger’s office confirmed with DOT officials that the street car campaign will not receive federal money this time around. None of Charlotte’s proposals were approved for the U.S. Department of Transportation TIGER grant.

City Council agreed to approve City Manager Ron Carlee's 'Gold Line' project because it would not require raising or using property taxes. The plan, approved earlier this year, splits the $126 million street car Phase II price tag down the middle, using reserve funds for half. The other $63 million needed to be secured from federal grant money.

City officials said they’ll know more Thursday.

Sources said the city isn’t sweating the decision. City leaders consider this a strike, but said they aren’t out of the grant game.

The city can apply for additional federal grants in the future. This was the first attempt.

Print
Email
|