Communities brace for historic flooding in wake of Matthew

Hurricane Matthew has passed but Governor McCrory warns the worst is yet to come.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- As communities across the Carolinas begin picking up the pieces left by Hurricane Matthew, others are bracing for another round.

During a press conference Sunday afternoon, North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory painted a bleak picture of what's expected in days to come.

"This is going to be a long term issue for the state of North Carolina," said McCrory. "It's going to be extremely dangerous through the week."

As of right now in North Carolina there are eight Matthew related deaths and five people missing.

"We do not want to lose anymore people and that's our number one goal," said McCrory.

We've seen the destruction, but for parts of North Carolina the worst has yet to come. Entire towns are still being evacuated as Matthew's mayhem isn't over.

So far there have been more than 1,000 rescues. Emergency responders risking their own lives to save another by boat and through the air.

"We have 43 local states of emergencies, 40 operation centers open, 76 shelters open with over 3,000 occupants," said McCrory.

From Raleigh to Fayetteville and areas in between roads and neighborhoods are underwater. Families have lost their homes.  Some places won't be open for business this week.

"The flood prediction models tell us that 400 buildings already have water in them," said McCrory.

Copyright 2016 WCNC


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories