Authorities say an elderly couple appears to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning while running a generator after Hurricane Matthew, raising the U.S. death toll from the storm to 5.
A post on the St. Lucie County Fire District's Facebook page says rescuers responded to couple's home Friday morning after neighbors found them not breathing. They were taken to a nearby hospital, where county spokesman Erick Gill says they later died.
Officials say the couple had been running a generator inside their garage throughout the storm.
Officials didn't immediately name the couple.
You can always get the latest conditions on Matthew by downloading WCNC's apps.Weather App iPhone: http://on.wcnc.com/2dBz8UR
Weather App iPad: http://on.wcnc.com/2dQBYDPWeather App Android: http://on.wcnc.com/2d0sc00
News iPhone app: http://on.wcnc.com/2dFTKKTNews Android app: http://on.wcnc.com/2dkLYo9
Sign Up for WCNC Text Alerts to learn about school closings: http://on.wcnc.com/2d9cfrZ
© 2017 Associated Press