State of Emergency for all of NC

Chief meteorologist Brad Panovich provides update on Hurricane Matthew for Friday afternoon

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – A State of Emergency has been declared for all 100 counties in North Carolina. 

Early-Thursday evening, Governor Pat McCrory issued a State of Emergency for all of North Carolina's 100 counties. The move will make it easier for state resources to be allocated to assist eastern North Carolina counties and neighboring states affected by Hurricane Matthew.

“This declaration will allow us to use further resources throughout the state to assist with the storm response here at home and to our neighboring states to the south,” Governor McCrory said. “It will also allow us to better support evacuees heading further inland from impacted areas, including the North Carolina coast.” 

During a news conference Friday morning McCrory says he's about worried about current projections of Hurricane Matthew that show the storm could lead to heavier rains than previously estimated at or near the coast and power outages from high winds.

McCrory said Friday morning rainfall totals could exceed a foot in parts of southeastern North Carolina, with the most activity starting Friday night through Sunday morning. He said in a storm media briefing that wind gusts could push above 65 mph, and that citizens should be prepared to remain without electricity for some time because utilities may have to focus first on other affected regions.

He says the North Carolina National Guard and emergency equipment are being assembled, including high-water vehicles and swift-water rescue teams. The state is also providing a helicopter rescue team and other resources to South Carolina. McCrory says a mobile hospital unit is ready to go to Florida when it's safe to do so.
 

RELATED: Hurricane Matthew reschedules high school football games

Copyright 2016 WCNC


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories