Chicken Tikka Masala
Courtesy of Chef Hari Nayak of Tandur Indian Kitchen
2 tbs Greek-style plain yogurt
1 tbs plus 1 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tbs plus 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1¼-1½ lbs. skinless, boneless chicken pieces cut into 2 in cube
1 tsp salt (plus more if needed)
nonstick cooking spray or oil
1 tsp brown sugar
3 tbs oil
1¼ cup tomato puree
2 ½ tbs tomato paste
½ cup heavy cream
4 tbs chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro)
2 tbs softened butter
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 tbs of the yogurt, 2 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of ground coriander and cumin, 1 tsp of Garam Masala, salt, 1 tbs oil and half of the Ginger-Garlic Paste.
- Add the diced chicken and mix until the chicken pieces are well coated. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat and grease with nonstick cooking spray or a little oil.
- Place the chicken cubes on the grill pan and cook all sides until well browned, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the remaining 2 tsp of the Ginger-Garlic Paste and cook until the mixture turns golden brown, about 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining 2 tsp of paprika, 1 tsp of ground coriander and cumin and brown sugar. Mix well and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato puree, tomato paste and salt and cook, stirring constantly, until the oil separates from the masala, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Add little water or chicken stock if the mixture gets too thick.
- Whisk in the cream, making sure it is well blended.
- Add the chicken and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and allow the chicken to simmer until it is completely cooked, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 1 tsp of the Home-Style Garam Masala, the fresh coriander leaves and butter and mix well.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed. Serve hot.
Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hours for marinating
Cook Time: 20 minutes