Chili Lime Watermelon & Cucumber Salad with steamed Shrimp & Whipped Feta
By Chef Carol Green, NTP
Marinating the watermelon in the chili lime vinaigrette draws out the flavors and provides the perfect balance between sweet, sour, salty & hot. The saltiness of the whipped feta is a delectable touch to the dish with tender steamed shrimp in this cool summer salad.
¼ cup fresh Lime Juice, plus 1 tsp Lime Zest
½ cup Coconut Vinegar
½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Tamari Soy Sauce
1 tsp finely chopped Mint
½ teaspoon Savory Spice Shop Peruvian Chili Lime Seasoning
- Whisk together all ingredients except for the oil. Add the oil in a slow steady stream while whisking, to emulsify.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings accordingly.
1 Lb. Royal Red shrimp peeled and deveined
1 pint Watermelon, peeled and cut into 3-by-1-inch rectangles
1 English Cucumber, cut into 3-by-1-inch rectangles
2 stalks Green Onion, finely chopped
¼ cup Basil leaves, chiffonade cut
¼ cup Cilantro, rough chopped
6 oz ‘Power Greens’; mixed Baby Kale, Spinach and Arugula
1 Lb. Feta Cheese, crumbled
1/3 cup Olive Oil
- Add approximately 2 inches of water to a large pot fitted a steamer basket or mesh colander on the stove top and bring to a boil.
- Add the shrimp, place the lid on and lower the heat to a simmer. Allow to steam for 3 to 4 minutes, be careful not to overcook.
- Remove the shrimp from the heat, place in a container and drizzle just enough dressing over to coat.
- Toss through and place in the refrigerator.
- Note: This part of the recipe may be prepared in advance, however do not marinate the shrimp longer than three hours as I can become mushy.
- Place the watermelon and cucumber in a large container or resealable bag. Add approximately ½ cup of the dressing, just enough to coat, and allow to marinade in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Place the crumbled feta in a small bowl food processor or blender jug, with the motor running add the olive oil in a steady stream until the feta has a smooth whipped consistency.
- Assemble the salad: This can be plated family style or individually.
- In a large bowl, toss the power greens with the herbs and just enough dressing to coat, place on a large platter.
- Scatter the watermelon and cucumber over the greens. Add the juices from the marinate to the rest of the dressing.
- Using two spoons, place neat scoops of the whipped feta around the plate.
- Place the cooked shrimp on top of the feta scoops.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onion, serve immediately with extra dressing on the side.