GREENSBORO, N.C. — A North Carolina man is under arrest for trying to run a 'sextortion' scheme against students in the UNC system -- for a second time.
Authorities have arrested Kevin Kearney on cyberstalking and extortion charges. They say Kearney would pose as a modeling agency on Instagram, messaging women to send photos to the fake account. Then, officials say he would threaten to expose them unless they gave him their logins and passwords.
UNC Greensboro students were the latest victims of the scam.
Police reports show he's done this to students across the state, as well as students in South Carolina and Virginia.
Popular on WCNC:
- Rescue group blames 'Game of Thrones' for more people abandoning wolf-like dogs
- Husband sings with wife at NC hospital as she recovers from stroke, seizure
- 'A serious global health threat': Drug-resistant fungus sickens hundreds in U.S.
- Hundreds of CMS teachers call out ahead of May 1 rally
- Huntersville teen gymnast makes national team