CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A man was arrested for attempted murder on Friday after someone was found shot near a car in east Charlotte earlier this week.

Kehlan Johnson, 41, was also charged with assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. 

According to Medic, the shooting happened around 9:20 p.m. at the intersection of W.T. Harris Boulevard and Duncroft Lane on Monday. 

The victim suffered life-threatening injuries and was taken to Atrium Health-CMC in Charlotte. His name was not released.

A witness told WCNC's Richard DeVayne that passersby stopped to help the victim. 

"There was a gold car and the hazard lights were on," she said. "There was a man laying down beside it. It looked like he had been in an accident or shot or something, but he was laying there and wasn't moving or anything, so a few cars started stopping."

Monday's shooting came on the heels of a violent weekend in Charlotte. In a 48-hour period, there were four shootings, including two homicides. There have been 88 homicides in Charlotte this year, the highest in 10 years. 

RELATED: Charlotte homicide rate at 10-year high after shooting at Bojangles'

RELATED: 21-year-old shot, killed in east Charlotte

 For the latest breaking news and information, download the WCNC mobile app