CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A family is without a home Wednesday morning after waking up to the smell of smoke in the middle of the night.

An uncle and two children in the home woke up to the smell of smoke around 3:30 a.m. One of the children, a 10-year-old girl told NBC Charlotte her uncle was able to remove her aunt, mother, little sister and himself from the home before firefighters arrived.

The home is located on the 300 block of Stillwell Oaks Circle in east Charlotte. The fire apparently started in the grandfather's room, the uncle said. Luckily, the grandfather wasn't in the room at the time. Fire officials said the fire made its way up to the attic after beginning in the bedroom.

As the family sat in their car with blankets, watching firefighters work on their home, they told NBC Charlotte's Billie Jean Shaw they were not sure if anything was saved.

Firefighters had the fire under control around 3:40 a.m. No injuries were reported.

The Charlotte Fire Department deemed the cause of the fire accidental due to combustible material close to a heat source. The estimated property loss is $20,000.