MATTHEWS, N.C. — First responders were investigating a gas leak in Matthews on Friday afternoon.
It happened at Sycamore Commons Shopping Center on Matthews Township Pkwy.
"The parking lot to Best Buy is closed while Piedmont Natural Gas and Matthews Fire & EMS assess the situation. Please avoid this area until further notice," police posted on Facebook.
No injuries were reported at the time of the incident.
Just after 6 p.m., Matthews Police reported the gas had been shut off and the evacuated stores would reopen soon.
Stay with NBC Charlotte for the latest on this developing story.