(WARNING: VIDEO IN THIS STORY IS GRAPHIC)
NBC News has obtained unsettling cell phone video that shows the moments leading up to the fatal police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
The video was released to NBC News by Scott's wife Rakeyia Scott. The cell phone video does not clearly show the exact moment Scott was shot by police on Tuesday.
Police said they had been searching for someone who had an outstanding warrant at The Village at College Downs complex on Old Concord Road when they saw Keith Lamont Scott leave his truck holding a gun.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said Scott got out, had a gun on him, and put the officers in imminent danger.
Rakeyia Scott came out of the apartment after getting a cell phone charger, according to NBC News.
In the footage obtained by NBC News, Scott's wife, Rakeyia Scott, can be heard saying, "Don't shoot him, don't shoot him" as police appear to converge on a white pick-up truck in the parking lot of a condominium complex. "He has no weapon — don't shoot him!"
(WARNING: VIDEO IN THIS STORY IS GRAPHIC)
Rakeyia Scott can be heard in the video urging her husband to comply with the officers who had instructed her husband to "drop the gun, drop the gun."
"He doesn't have a gun. He has a TBI. He's not going to do anything to you guys. He just took his medicine."
"Keith, don't let them break the windows! Come on out of the car," she can be heard yelling, "Keith, don't do it!"
"Keith, Keith, Keith — don't you do it!"
It's at that moment that four gunshots can be heard, as Scott's wife screams: "Did you shoot him? Did you shoot him?"
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer Brentley Vinson shot Scott. Both men were African-American, a police official said.
Scott is seen on the pavement moments after the shots were fired and surrounded by officers.
"He better not be f---ing dead, he better not be f---ing dead," Scott's wife can be heard shouting at the police officers. "He better live, he better live!"
The City of Charlotte said the video they have from dash cams and body cams is not going to be released, even though the city has asked them to.
The attorney for Keith Scott's family said they wanted to release the video because the city and the police department did not. Now there is a lot of pressure on the city to release the dash cam and body cam video.
City officials are aware of the video and released the following statement: "This is the State Bureau of Investigation's investigation, and the City of Charlotte is respecting its process. All questions related to the investigation need to be referred to the SBI."
Those who live in the same complex as the Scott family say it's important for the City of Charlotte to release the dash cam and body cam video. Neighbors say the cell phone video could enrage people and they are urging city officials to release the video immediately.
"They didn't have to take his life. We got people out here blowing up America. You know? You're not shooting to kill them. You understand? They shot him and then killed him. Why didn't they shoot him in the leg? They didn't need to take his life," one neighbor said. "My heart hurts."
The attorneys of the Scott family released a statement Friday afternoon, explaining the family released the video "in the name of truth and transparency."
Today's decision to release cellphone video of the moments before Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed was made by the Scott family in the name of truth and transparency.
The family is still hopeful that the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and city of Charlotte will release all available video of the incident to the public so that people can draw their own conclusions about Keith's death.
We encourage everyone to reserve judgment until all the facts are known. This is simply one step in our quest to find the truth for this family.
We thank those in the community who have supported the Scott family during this difficult time, and we again ask for peace in Charlotte as we continue to learn more about the tragic events that unfolded September 20.
Just before 9 p.m. Friday, the SBI released a statement saying that CMPD remains the custodian of the original recording as has the legal authority to release the video.
On September 20, 2016, Keith Lamont Scott was shot and killed after a brief encounter with the police by an on-duty officer of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (CMPD). On September 22, 2016, Mecklenburg County District Attorney Andrew Murray called in the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) to independently investigate the shooting death of Mr. Scott. The District Attorney called in the SBI at the request of Mr. Scott’s family as permitted under North Carolina General Statue 147-90. This statute allows families whose relative is killed by a law enforcement officer acting in the line of duty to request an investigation by the SBI.
The SBI has dedicated significant resources to investigate this case and will report back to the District Attorney when the investigation is completed. Regarding the video of the event captured by CMPD cameras, CMPD remains the custodian of the original recording and as such has the legal authority to release it. It is understood discussions are actively underway between local officials regarding the release of that video.