GRANDFATHER, N.C. — This weekend, Grandfather Mountain will play host to the 64th annual Highland Games.
Scottish or not, everyone is welcome at the Highland Games, which are a way to celebrate Scottish heritage through athletics, merchants and foods. Blacksmiths in the village will make materials using traditional methods, and there are even Viking warriors you can meet.
Before the games start, grab a traditional Scottish meal, such as haggis, shepherd's pie or sticky pudding.
Athletic events include Highland wrestling, Scottish dancing, tug of war and the caber toss.
"Scottish wrestling really only has two rules," said one person. "Stay on your feet and don't lose your grip."
The Highland Games run through Sunday and daily admission is only $20. Click here for more information.
MORE WAKE UP CHARLOTTE
- Survey: 60% of Americans admit to checking their work email on vacation
- Drinking red wine chilled will make it taste better, experts say
- 'It was a mistake' | Woman who decorated 'Moana-marijuana' cake fired
- Police warn those who picked up $$ that spilled from armored car: Return it
- Inside the old school bus that became one of NC's hottest Airbnb rentals