WALNUT, Miss. (AP) — A school bus driver is dead and seven children are injured after a school bus rolled over in northern Mississippi.
The Mississippi Highway Patrol tells local news outlets that the driver died in the Tuesday morning incident, with the bus ending up on its side in a ditch.
Benton County school Superintendent Steve Bostick tells WMC-TV he believes the driver, Chester Cole, had some kind of medical emergency. Bostick says Cole had been working for the school district for five years.
Seven children between the ages of 7 and 13 were on the bus at the time. All were taken to hospitals in and around Memphis, Tennessee, some by helicopter.
Troopers say no other vehicles were involved in the wreck on U.S. Highway 72 west of Walnut.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida boy surprised with Disney trip after using birthday money to help Hurricane Dorian evacuees
- How one deadly secret led to the murder of an entire family
- Rare Friday the 13th full moon to appear this week
- EMT responds to fatal crash and finds his 16-year-old daughter
- Child with cancer will not go back to his parents, judge rules