CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Kemba Walker is expected to say goodbye to the Hornets on Sunday, according to an ESPN report.
League sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that Walker is supposed to be in Boston to sign for a four-year deal for $141 million with the Celtics.
Walker, who has spent the first eight seasons of his career with Charlotte, is an unrestricted free agent for the first time.
Since Walker made the All-NBA team, he was eligible for a supermax contract with the Hornets where they could offer him as much as $221 million over the next five years. However, reports earlier in the week said the Hornets only planned to offer their three-time All-Star $170 million.
Rumors had been circulating for a while now about Walker's future with the Hornets. NBC Charlotte Sports Director Nick Carboni previously said Hornets fans shouldn't be surprised if he goes.
"You're smart enough to not be surprised after years of poor draft picks and bloated contracts that the Hornets cannot and should not offer Kemba Walker supermax money," Carboni previously said.
NBA free agency officially begins Sunday at 6 p.m., but Walker would not be eligible to sign until July 6.