TOKYO, Japan — Michal Smolen placed 5th in the men's K-1 Slalom semifinals Friday morning.
Smolen had a total time of 96.61 in his first run and placed 22nd in the second run with a time of 102.03.
During the semifinal run, Smolen finished with a time of 99.12 - putting him in 5th place. Smolen was just points away from the bronze medal finisher who finished with a time of 97.11.
Smolen is from Charlotte, North Carolina and attends Belmont Abbey College. He trained for the Tokyo Olympics at the U.S. National Whitewater Center. The 27-year-old first competed in the 2016 Olympic Games, where he finished 12th in the Single Kayak (K1) competition.
Men's canoeing/kayaking schedule:
- Mens Whitewater Slalom K-1 Heats 11 a.m. EST Wednesday, July 28
- Mens Slalom Semifinal & Final 1 a.m. EST Friday, July 30
- Mens C-2 1000m, moreHeats & Quarterfinals 8:30 p.m. EST Sunday, August 1
- Mens K-1 1000m, more Semifinals 8:30 p.m. EST Monday, August 2
- Mens K-2 1000m, more Heats & Quarterfinals 8:30 p.m. EST Tuesday, August 3
You can catch Michal competing in Tokyo, right here on WCNC Charlotte. Here's how and when you can watch all of the events.