CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte FC announced Tuesday that Miguel Ángel Ramírez will not continue as its head coach.
According to the soccer club, assistant coach Christian Lattanzio will serve as interim head coach for the remainder of the 2022 season.
“This is a difficult decision, but one we feel is best for the team at this time,” owner David Tepper said. “I want to thank Miguel and his staff for their hard work during our first season and wish them the best in their future endeavors.”
Goalkeeper coach Andy Quy will remain on staff.
Assistant coach Mikel Antía, head fitness coach Cristobal Fuentes Nieto, and first team video Analyst Luis Piedrahita will depart the club with Ramirez.
“We appreciate the contributions of Miguel and his staff to our Club, and wish them well moving forward in their careers,” said Charlotte FC Sporting Director Zoran Krneta. “We are excited about this opportunity for Christian. He is a very experienced coach who has made a tremendous impact on our squad this season.”
Ramírez, who was announced as the Club’s first head coach on July 7, 2021, went 5-8-1 in 14 league games this season while also advancing to the Round of 16 in the U.S. Open Cup.
Ramirez shared a statement on Twitter on Sunday, June 5:
Miguel Ramírez Charlotte FC timeline
- July 7, 2021: Introduced as Charlotte FC head coach
- Jan. 18, 2022: Charlotte FC holds first training camp
- Feb. 1, 2022: Charlotte FC wins first preseason match
- Feb. 28, 2022: Charlotte FC plays inaugural MLS match
- March 6, 2022: Charlotte FC hosts LA Galaxy in its first home match
- March 19, 2022: Charlotte FC defeats Revolution for first-ever win
- May 18, 2022: Charlotte FC announces match with Chelsea FC
- May 25, 2022: Charlotte FC eliminated from U.S. Open Cup
- May 31, 2022: Miguel Ramirez fired by Charlotte FC
All of WCNC Charlotte's podcasts are free and available for both streaming and download. You can listen now on Android, iPhone, Amazon, and other internet-connected devices. Join us from North Carolina, South Carolina, or on the go anywhere.