Breaking News
More () »

Charlotte's Leading Local News: Weather, Traffic, Sports and more | Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com

How to safely heat your home in the winter time

Tips to prevent a fire when heating your home in chilly weather.

SOUTH CAROLINA, USA — The things used to keep us warm when it's cold outside, like fire places and space heaters, could lead to a fire if not used properly. 

So, as the temperatures drop, here are some tips from South Carolina State Fire to help keep your home protected:

  • Only use kerosene heaters and space heaters according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Inspect the heater for cracked or broken plugs. If frayed, worn, or damaged, do not use the heater.
    • Keep the unit on a flat surface at least three feet away from anything that can burn. Use this “three feet rule” and don’t let pets or children play too close to the heater.
    • Never leave heaters unattended.
    • Refuel a kerosene heater outdoors.
    • Always plug the space heater directly into the wall, not an extension cord or power strip; unplug when not in use.
    • Don’t use either to dry wet clothing.
With the extreme cold weather, the Columbia Fire Department is urging residents to be safe when heating your home.
  • Heating pads and electric blankets also pose a fire risk – especially if more than 10 years old. Don’t place anything on top of either one while in use – this includes other blankets or pets. Never fold electric blankets or use while sleeping.
  • Portable generators, commonly used in the winter as a result of storm-induced power outages, produce odorless and deadly carbon monoxide. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to prevent death from carbon monoxide. Never use a generator indoors.
  • Be careful when using candles and keep them out of reach of children and pets. Since it is an open flame, never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home. Use sturdy candle holders and extinguish upon leaving a room or going to sleep.
  • Since they are much safer to use than candles, have flashlights ready to use in case of a power outage.
  • Make sure the fireplace has a sturdy screen to stop sparks from flying into the room. Only burn seasoned and dried wood. During the upcoming holiday season, avoid hanging decorations around the fireplace area. Never burn wrapping paper in a fireplace; it burns too fast and hot to be controlled. Wait until ashes are cool before putting them in a metal container. Keep the container a safe distance away from your home. Never put ashes in a cardboard box or bag.
  • Chimneys should be cleaned and inspected every year by a qualified professional. If not, they can become filled with highly flammable layers of creosote.
  • Do not use the kitchen stove or oven to heat the home. Neither are designed to heat large areas, and the element may fail causing a fire. Never leave food cooking on the stove unattended.
Credit: ODPS

Smoke alarms should be installed on every level of the home - inside and outside of sleeping areas. Also, sleep with the bedroom door closed. Closing the door can increase your chance for survival by slowing the spread of fire and smoke.

Lastly, if there is a fire emergency, call 9-1-1 as soon as possible and remain outdoors. Never return inside a burning building for any reason.