ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — If you need a ride to a state-approved evacuation shelter as Hurrican Dorian approaches, Uber and Lyft may be able to help.
On Sunday, Uber announced they would be offering free rides of up to $20 for rides to and from state-approved storm shelters.
To take advantage of the deal, enter the promo code “DORIANRELIEF“ in the app, then select any of the state-approved Florida evacuation shelters. To use a promo code, open the Uber app, find the “payment” section and scroll down until you see “Add Promo Code”.
A post on Uber's website said it will be making the safety of passengers and drivers a priority as Dorian approaches, which could mean changes for both. Uber said the post on their website will be updated as the storm develops. Riders and drivers will be notified through the app.
Lyft also activated its Wheels for All program to help those evacuating the storm's path. The company said it's partnering with United Way and 211s across Florida's east coast and South Carolina to give riders up to two free rides (up to $15 each) until Sept. 15.
Use code DORIANRELIEF for the free rides to and from shelters.
What other people are reading right now:
- Hurricane Dorian a 'catastrophic' Category 5 hurricane
- Live blog: The latest, need-to-know information on Hurricane Dorian
- 5 dead, 21 injured in second mass shooting in weeks in West Texas
- There've already been 1,000 reports of suspected price gouging in Florida as Dorian approaches
- Orlando International Airport will now stay open through Dorian
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.