CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Eleven COVID-19 testing sites opened at CVS Pharmacy drive-thru locations in Mecklenburg County Friday.CVS Health is opening 55 new COVID-19 testing sites across North Carolina Friday.
The sites are part of CVS' commitment to open 1,000 testing locations by the end of May.
A Charlotte resident picked up her prescriptions at the CVS off South New Hope Road and Beaty Road, Susan McDonald didn't know the pharmacy was a testing site.
She had to get a COVID-19 test several weeks ago though thankfully, she tested negative.
"I thought it was interesting," McDonald said about the self-testing. "I don't know if I had to do a self-swab if I would've gotten what they really needed."
The testing is by appointment only, and CVS employee watches patients as they swab yourself.
The swab is only inserted about one inch, or midway, into a person's nose.
Along with the 55 CVS locations, Gov. Roy Cooper (D) said there are now more than 300 testing sites, which can be found on the DHHS website.
"We're glad to have another retail store that offers testing," Gov. Cooper said about CVS. "Especially as we work to make testing available to historically under-served communities."
It's more options than what McDonald had when she got tested.
"I think it's great if it's this convenient," McDonald.
Those who want to be tested must register online at CVS.com to schedule an appointment.
What to expect
When you arrive for your appointment, you will stay in your car and self-swab at a drive-thru window under the supervision of a CVS pharmacy employee.
Tests will be sent to a third-party independent lab, and the results will be available in about three days.
“CVS Health has been at the forefront of helping our nation scale-up COVID-19 testing capabilities, and we’re proud to meet our goal of establishing 1,000 testing sites in communities across the country,” said Larry J. Merlo, President and CEO of CVS Health. “Opening access to testing in more locations using our drive-thru window represents an important milestone in our response to the pandemic. We remain grateful for the daily efforts and sacrifices of our front-line colleagues who make the continued expansion of our testing possible.”
The testing sites will continue to provide regular service to customers and patients.
Click here for more information or to sign up for an appointment.
The following CVS pharmacies in the WCNC Charlotte area are open for testing:
- CVS Pharmacy, 9628 Rea Road, Charlotte, NC 28277
- CVS Pharmacy, 115 West Arrowood Road, Charlotte, NC 28217
- CVS Pharmacy, 10730 Providence Road, Charlotte, NC 28262
- CVS Pharmacy, 9915 Park Cedar Drive, Charlotte, NC 28210
- CVS Pharmacy, 9805 Rocky River Road, Charlotte, NC 28215
- CVS Pharmacy, 11430 North Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28262
- CVS Pharmacy, 8420 Steele Creek Road, Charlotte, NC 28273
- CVS Pharmacy, 4098 Houston Field Court, Charlotte, NC 28277
- CVS Pharmacy, 2002 Shiloah Church Road, Davidson, NC 28036
- CVS Pharmacy, 3610 Mathews Mint Road, Matthews, NC 28105
- CVS Pharmacy, 3310 Siskey Parkway, Matthews, NC 28105
- CVS Pharmacy, 1220 Highway 321 NW, Hickory, NC 28601
- CVS Pharmacy, 105 East College Avenue, Shelby, NC 28152
- CVS Pharmacy, 1260 Union Street, Concord, NC 28025
- CVS Pharmacy, 178 Turnersburg Highway, Statesville, NC 28625
- CVS Pharmacy, 3658 South New Hope Road, Gastonia, NC 28056
- CVS Pharmacy, 442 Highway 27 South, Stanley, NC 28164
- CVS Pharmacy, 1142 North Broom Street, Waxhaw, NC 28173
- CVS Pharmacy, 2147 Blowing Rock Road, Boone, NC 28607