CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Mark Harris has responded on Twitter to the allegations of absentee ballot tampering.
Harris defeated McCready by just 905 votes in the North Carolina 9th Congressional District race, but the certification remains on hold while state officials investigate reports of tampering with absentee ballots.
On Thursday, Democrat Dan McCready withdrew his concession to Republican Mark Harris.
McCready posted a video on Twitter around 5:30 p.m. Thursday.
"I didn’t serve overseas in the Marines to come home to NC and watch a criminal, bankrolled by my opponent, take away people’s very right to vote. Today I withdraw my concession and call on Mark Harris to end his silence and tell us exactly what he knew, and when," McCready said.
Mark Harris responded on Friday saying:
"My campaign and I are cooperating fully with the state board of elections investigations and we will continue to do so. I trust the process that's underway just as I have always trusted the decision of the voters. I trust that this investigation will be full and complete, examining any alleged irregularities that could have benefited either party."
Harris goes to on to say he was 'absolutely unaware of any wrongdoing' but says that will not prevent him from cooperating with this investigation.
"I'm hopeful that this process will ultimately result in the certification of my election to Congress before the next House section begins," Harris said. "However, if this investigation find proof of illegal activity on either side to such a level that it could have changed the outcome of the election, then I would wholeheartedly support a new election to ensure all voters have confidence in the results."
On Wednesday, Virginia Congressman Gerry Connolly called for an emergency hearing on fraud allegations coming out of the district. NBC Charlotte also confirmed the state board of elections subpoenaed GOP consulting group Red Dome Group based in Cornelius.
The Red Dome Group reportedly hired McCrae Dowless, the man accused of leading a scheme to collect absentee ballots in Bladen County. The political consulting firm was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by Republican Mark Harris.
A new Federal Election Commission filing by Harris’ campaign, shows he’s still obligated to pay Red Dome Group more than $34,000 for "Reimbursement Payment for Bladen Absentee, Early Voting Poll Workers; Reimbursement Door to Door.” We previously reported Red Dome received a subpoena as part of the state election board’s investigation.
House leaders are threatening to throw the entire election out. Michael Bitzer, a political science professor at Catawba College, told NBC Charlotte said it's a possibility.
"I feel like the momentum is pushing toward a new election to be called either by the state or the U.S. House of Representatives," said Bitzer.
There could be other places and elections that were tainted, including the primary where Harris beat incumbent Robert Pittenger.
Pittenger released a statement Thursday, saying he "prefers that all the facts and outcome be known prior to speculating on the Bladen County issue."
Some Republican lawmakers now question the ability of the state board of elections to conduct the investigation fairly. They're calling on the governor to create a new bipartisan task force.
North Carolina's law does allow for a new election if the results are tainted. The election board called for a public evidentiary hearing on or before December 21. NBC Charlotte has learned prosecutors have asked the NC State Board of Investigation to help with the investigation.