CHAPEL HILL, N.C. — Aamir Simms hit an overtime-forcing 3-pointer with 3.5 seconds left in regulation and the Clemson Tigers went on to erase decades of futility at North Carolina by beating the Tar Heels 79-76 on Saturday, earning their first win in 60 tries in Chapel Hill.
Simms had 20 points for the Tigers, who trailed by 10 with about two minutes left in regulation before making a frantic comeback.
Brandon Robinson had a career-best 27 points for the Tar Heels, who were 59-0 all-time in the series in Chapel Hill for the longest home winning streak against one opponent in NCAA history.
MORE ON WCNC:
- Woman tackled by customers after attempting to rob Burlington bank with a rifle: Police
- Alligator bites college student hiking in the Everglades
- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler return to co-host 2021 Golden Globes
- Police looking for 3 suspects who robbed Quick Trip at gunpoint in east Charlotte
- UK royals: Meghan Markle signs Disney voiceover deal
- UNC Charlotte heroes awarded Nish Jamgotch Jr. Humanitarian Award