LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office has filed domestic violence charges against Charlotte Hornets forward Miles Bridges.
Bridges, 24, faces one felony count of injuring a child’s parent and two felony counts of child abuse under circumstances or conditions likely to cause great bodily injury or death.
According to the criminal complaint, the alleged assault on Bridges' girlfriend happened in front of their two children on or around June 27 and 28.
“Domestic violence creates physical, mental and emotional trauma that has a lasting impact on survivors,” George Gascón, Los Angeles County District Attorney, said. “Children who witness family violence are especially vulnerable and the impact on them is immeasurable. Mr. Bridges will be held accountable for his actions and our Bureau of Victim Services will support the survivors through this difficult process.”
The child abuse charges carry punishments of up to six years in prison, meanwhile, the domestic abuse charge carries a punishment of up to four years in prison, according to the criminal complaint.
PREVIOUS COVERAGE: LAPD confirms arrest of Hornets star Miles Bridges for domestic violence
Mychelle Johnson, the mother of Bridges' two young children, addressed the incident on Instagram earlier in the month, posting several pictures of injuries and a medical report that read “adult victim of physical abuse by male partner; Assault by strangulation, Brain concussion; Closed fracture of nasal bone; Contusion of rib; Multiple bruises; Strain of neck muscle.”
“I hate that it has come to this but I can’t be silent anymore. I’ve allowed someone to destroy my home, abuse me in every way possible and traumatize our kids for life,” Johnson wrote on Instagram. “I have nothing to prove to the world, but I won’t allow anyone who could do something so horrible to have no remorse and paint a picture of something I’m not. I won’t allow the people around him to continue to silence me and continue to lie to protect this person.”
Bridges pleaded not guilty to all three charges Wednesday, according to the district attorney's office. He is scheduled to appear again in court on Aug. 19, when a date for a preliminary hearing is expected to be set.
Charlotte drafted Bridges out of Michigan State with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. He is a restricted free agent after reportedly turning down an extension offer from the Hornets last year.
The Hornets have responded to the charges against Bridges, stating they will monitor the situation.
"We are aware of the charges that were filed today against Miles Bridges. These are very serious charges that we will continue to monitor," the Hornets said in a statement. "As this is a legal matter, we will have no further comment at this time."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
ALSO ON WCNC CHARLOTTE: LaMelo Ball changing jersey number for 2022-23 season