CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Bank of America Stadium may not have worked out a plan for playing football in front of fans quite yet, but we do know it will draw crowds in for another reason this fall.
For the first time, the football stadium will be used as an early voting site for Mecklenburg County voters. Leaders say the bigger venue will allow for a safer voting environment during the pandemic. It will also help increase the number of polling places in the county where voters are able to cast a ballot in the 2020 election.
From Oct. 15-31, registered voters in Mecklenburg County can stop by the stadium, regardless of their designated polling place, and cast a ballot early. Voting will be held in the Luxe lobby and an adjacent area on the north side of the stadium.
In addition to Bank of America Stadium, the Spectrum Center and Bojangles Coliseum will also host early voters.
The total number of early voting sites is now 33, up from 22 during the last election four years ago, according to Michael Dickerson, Director of Elections for Mecklenburg County.
“This is the first time we’ve ever had this much coverage throughout the county,” he said.
In addition to the large venues, the Mecklenburg County Board of Elections is adding more polling sites in neighborhoods that have previously never had one. Some of the new sites will be located in west Charlotte, south Charlotte and the University area.
The Carolina Panthers have also launched a non-partisan campaign to encourage everyone to vote in the November election. "Your Vote Counts" aims to educated, register and mobilize voters in the Carolinas.
Here’s a list of early voting locations in Mecklenburg County:
- Bank of America Stadium
- Spectrum Center
- Bojangles Coliseum
- Cornelius Town Hall
- Hough High School
- North County Library
- North Mecklenburg High School
- Butler High School
- Matthews area, to be determined
- Garinger High School
- Bette Rae Thomas Rec Center
- West Boulevard Library
- Renaissance West STEAM Academy
- Providence High School
- Southwest Middle School
- Former Fox & Hound, Ballantyne Area
- Myers Park High School
- Scaleybark area, to be determined
- South Mecklenburg High School
- SouthPark area, to be determined
- East Mecklenburg High School
- Mountain Island Lake Library
- Hickory Grove area, to be determined
- Beatties Ford Library
- West Charlotte High School
- Hornet's Nest Park
- Former Rite Aid, Carmel area
- Independence High School
- The University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) Belk Gymnasium
- Old Pier One, University area
- Mallard Creek High School
- Olympic High School
- Ardrey Kell High School
RELATED: Decision 2020 voter guide